Who are all the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Specialists? With the Community Reveal event behind us we now know a lot more about Treyarch’s latest addition to the colossal FPS series, especially its core multiplayer experience. Returning from Black Ops 3, Specialists are characters with set abilities that you can select just before starting a match - they are separate to the create-a-class system and effectively give players a role on the battlefield and encourage teamwork.
In Black Ops 4, Specialists will all come with a single player scenario designed to add some narrative and context while also introducing players to the abilities of each character. It’s also worth noting that in multiplayer each team will only be able to have one of each Specialist, so don’t expect to be able to stack abilities. Finally, some Specialists also offer bespoke attachments to certain weapons, such as suppressive fire, but these additional traits have not been revealed in full yet.
Love shooters? Check out the best FPS games on PC.
Right now, we know of eight Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Specialists and their abilities, so join us as we run through all of them, from newcomers to familiar faces.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Specialists
- Equipment: Cluster - grenade that sticks to surfaces and releases several smaller grenades.
- Ability: War Machine - grenade launcher that fires bouncing grenades which detonate after a short time or by hitting an enemy directly.
- Equipment: Assault Pack - deploys ammo magazines that provide bonus score for taking down enemies and are available to the whole team.
- Ability: Tak-5 - heals, boosts max health, and removes wounds for the user and up to four targeted allies; it works through walls, too.
- Equipment: 9-bang - a tactical grenade that flashes and stuns; can be cooked to detonate more than once.
- Ability: Ballistic Shield - transforming defensive shield with a built-in machine pistol.
- Equipment: Sensor Dart - intel equipment that reveals enemies within its proximity on the minimap and is visible to everyone on the team.
- Ability: Vision Pulse - scan the surrounding area to reveal enemies for a period of time. Visible to your whole team.
- Equipment: Razor Wire - place razor wire to damage and slow enemies that attempt to cross it.
- Ability: Barricade - deploy reinforced cover while securing objectives. This boasts a built-in microwave field that slows and damages enemies. Owner can deactivate cover at will.
- Equipment: Grapple Gun - quickly move to elevations and other locations
- Ability: Grav Slam - a short, aggressive leap that delivers a lethal blast radius around the point of impact.
- Equipment: Reactor Core - emits a damaging radiation field that wounds enemies and reduces their maximum health for a period of time. Damages you if you charge it for too long.
- Ability: Purifier - flamethrower that shoots a steady stream of flame, scorching enemies up to mid-range.
- Equipment: Tac-Deploy - deployable beacon that allows your teammates to spawn to the surrounding area.
- Ability: Annihilator - high caliber revolver that fires devastating rounds with increased bullet penetration.
- Equipment: Unknown - Nomad carries a H.I.V.E. launcher in Black Ops 3, which placed nano-bot traps, but it remains unclear what his Black Ops 4 Specialist gadget will be. Interestingly, Nomad appears alongside a pit bull (not Mr. Worldwide) - perhaps his equipment will be an attack dog.
- Ability: Unknown - Rejack is Nomad’s ability in Black Ops 3 and allows him to instantly revive after dying when the ability meter is full. We’re yet to see this Black Ops 4 Specialist in action so you’ll have to stay tuned to find out what Nomad’s ability is.
- Equipment: Unknown - Prophet’s Black Ops 4 gadget is currently unknown, but it’s worth noting he uses an electrically charged sniper rifle called the Tempest in Black Ops 3.
- Ability: Unknown - Prophet’s Black Ops 3 ability is Glitch, which transports Prophet to a previous location, a bit like Tracer’s Recall ability in Overwatch.